Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Material Design in Chromium 71
Looks like we can't escape the new material design, I will try and revert for now, this is hideous, not just the tabs but the autofill box that drops down when you type in the address bar is just awful. None of this is the Cent dev's fault, but the Chrome developers for pandering to tablet users and not giving users a choice.

I suppose it's my fault for not disabling auto update in the first place.

EDIT: Download for 3.7 is broken, of course...

EDIT 2: Well it downloaded eventually and installed fine, hopefully it won't update itself like Google Chrome somehow does even if you turn off auto update.
Well, I just registered.

I just have to say that I have no reason at all to use centbrowser if it shares the UI with chrome, I'd rather use chrome.

I'll try to download a previous version, but if it updates itself... I'm out.

EDIT: Using 3.7 with auto update off, works fine. "but muh security updates and updates and..." look, I would give up ANYTHING related to the browser just to avoid material design or anything that looks even close to it.
(02-02-2019, 04:07 PM)Ownsin Wrote: I have also just signed up to say that you will lose me as a user if you guys don't introduce a flag to get back the old design (literally one of the main reasons I use your browser). For now, can someone tell me how to downgrade to the previous version until the devs decide if they're going to do this for us or not?

i had checked the beta but rolled back. But it depends on how you use the install....I grab the zips so it's easy to add/remove the versions. Only have to rename the chrome.exe to something else. Did you dl from centbrowser site or elsewhere?

if you installed through an installer, I'd think it's best to remove it altogether if you can and reinstall the previous version (3.7.2.33). You may lose settings...that seems to happen on certain version jumps of chrome.

(edit) i read your issue which is odd. seems you are probably installing from an installer? can you uninstall it? if so, try to download a zip file and manually install. You will probably need to redo settings... I do not have a folder/file as the error suggests....no "application" folder in users...local\centrbrowser
I believe that there should be someone to maintain the old chrome look and feel, the main reason I believe a lot of people even know of or used CentBrowser is because of the lack of Material Design theme BS that Google is doing, and wanted to use a browser specifically to get away from that, while keeping the old way they worked the same. I'd really, really enjoy it if the old chrome look could be brought back, and am actually myself investigating on compiling chrome wholesale just to keep it. Please, please bring back the old look.
I made my own Chrome theme for the new Material Design. Its some what more bearable now. My muscle memory still need to get used to the new spacing though.

https://i.imgur.com/AFtGJqJ.png

Code:
{
"update_url": "https://clients2.google.com/service/update2/crx",

"manifest_version": 2,
    "name": "Fix ugly Chrome",
    "description": "Theme that makes the new Chrome UI less ugly.",
    "version": "1.0",

"theme": {
        "colors": {
            "frame": [52, 52, 52],
            "toolbar": [255, 255, 255],
            "tab_text": [241, 243, 244],
            "tab_background_text": [189, 193, 198],
            "ntp_background": [50, 54, 57],
            "ntp_text": [255, 255, 255],
            "frame_inactive": [52, 52, 52],
            "tab_background_text_inactive": [189, 193, 198]
        },
        "tints": {
            "buttons": [0, 0, 0.6]
        },
        "properties": {
            "ntp_logo_alternate": 1,
            "ntp_background_repeat": "repeat"
        }
    }
}
(01-23-2019, 02:38 PM)CentBrowser Wrote: We may add another option to adjust tab bar height.

That would be a really good thing but why stop here ? 

You could tidy all the new Material GUI to be LOT MORE compact... it should be more easy than trying to bring back the old flag and more easy to maintain in the future.

In fact it's just mainly lowering the padding like you have done in V3.6.87.99 for the bookmark button padding:

[Image: K9LcP66.png]

What do you think of this method instead of trying to bring back the old flag ?  Huh   IMO it could be lot more easy to maintain in the future by just lowering the padding.

Regards  Shy
Okay, I'm not a big knower of Chrome (never used it, started Chromium browsers with UC before switching to Cent), but I still don't understand: what are the problems with the new tab shape?

I've nothing against them, really, for me it's just an aesthetic choice as any other. Personally I even like the new one more because on my Surface it reduced drastically the number of "wanted-to-activate-a-tab-but-it-was-another-one-I-pressed" things...

Thanks for explanations.
(02-08-2019, 11:39 AM)SpringsTS Wrote: Okay, I'm not a big knower of Chrome (never used it, started Chromium browsers with UC before switching to Cent), but I still don't understand: what are the problems with the new tab shape?

I've nothing against them, really, for me it's just an aesthetic choice as any other. Personally I even like the new one more because on my Surface it reduced drastically the number of "wanted-to-activate-a-tab-but-it-was-another-one-I-pressed" things...

Thanks for explanations.

Obviously I can only speak for myself, and be certain of the reason, but I suspect that many others who use a PC with a large monitor will share the frustration of everything looking like it is designed for, and because of mobile/touchscreen technology. 

For myself, the new design looks bloated and overly chunky, and it also lacks 'texture' for want of a better word. 
Also when having many tabs open, because the newer design lacks delineation between the tabs, the tab bar looks like a line of jumbled text as the tabs seem to blend into each other.
(02-08-2019, 11:39 AM)SpringsTS Wrote: Okay, I'm not a big knower of Chrome (never used it, started Chromium browsers with UC before switching to Cent), but I still don't understand: what are the problems with the new tab shape?

Thanks for explanations.

Aside from the purely aesthetic reasons of just thinking it looks bad for any number of reasons that don't really merit going into, it's over-sized and wastes screen space to accomplish the same task the previous design did just as well. I have a finite amount of space for the tabs, and I don't need things getting larger without tangible benefit to me. I like to have a number of tabs open, it's more difficult to cleanly do so with the new design.
I also object to the very minimal differentiation between active/inactive tabs leading everything to blend together with no real delineation between them.
Any update on this matter from the devs?