Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestion in address bar
Sorry, but I have not found information. 
Why disappeared useful option "maximum number of address bar auto suggestion items", since version 1.5.x.x?

Also with this version stopped working unique option "smart suggestion" (killed in Chromium 33, but recovered by chrome.dll patch).

We are losing a very useful functionality Sad
Thanks for your suggestions.

"maximum number of address bar auto suggestion items"
We thought this feature has no use.Because the suggestion accuracy will go down if there are too many items.
Generally the first 3-5 items are useful.And following items have no use.

"smart suggestion"

What is this feature? May you give a more detailed description or a screen shot.
(03-02-2016, 03:40 PM)CentBrowser Wrote: "maximum number of address bar auto suggestion items"
We thought this feature has no use.Because the suggestion accuracy will go down if there are too many items.
Generally the first 3-5 items are useful.And following items have no use.
I agree. But well, when the user has a choice. For me, normally 10-12 items Wink

Quote:smart suggestion
What is this feature? May you give a more detailed description or a screen shot.
This option was available with the earliest versions of Chrome browser. When typing in omnibox 2-4 characters in the prompt appears direct link (not from History and not from Bookmarks) on the most popular resource in the russian Internet (perhaps this worked in other regional areas). Do not need to open Google search results page. This saved time and network traffic.
[Image: CmaiTcUt.png] [Image: 2xX5mDot.png] [Image: 4FY9X7ft.png] [Image: qVoCywHt.png]

Versions 29-32 this option could return, disabling chrome://flags/#enable-instant-extended-api.

Starting with version 33, Google decided that all transitions should exist only with its search web page and completely blocked this option. Through research user Tilks, we returned "smart suggestion" using patch chrome.dll:
[Image: mh1Lpqxt.png]

Unfortunately, in Cent v1.5.7.18+ "smart suggestion" stopped working  Sad
[Image: 4zL3LfQt.png] [Image: E5i7yomt.png] [Image: VpkxtQSt.png]

I tried it in Chromium rev.340078 v46.0.2464.0 (last build that runs on XP) "smart suggestion" same does not work.

Note:
1. "Smart suggestion" does not work request with google.com, only google.ru and perhaps in other regional areas.
2. In Preferences file must be present parameter:
Code:
  "browser": {
     "last_known_google_url": "https://www.google.ru/",
  },
Usually it registers automatically, but if the first launches browser was in offline mode, it may not be there. In older versions of Chrome (for example, this Chrome Plus) this parameter is located in Local State file.
3. Perhaps it only works with russian IP and on russian Windows, but I am not sure.

We would be very grateful if you could return this feature!
CentBrowser
If you will try to fix "smart suggestion", then maybe it will help you.
I looked a few Chromium builds and found that:
on build 338361 - "smart suggestion" works perfect, but on the next build 338390 is no longer working.
Both builds have version 45.0.2454.0, 11 July 2015.
Many thanks for your detailed suggestions.

As we concluded, this is not only a change of Chrome/Chromium, but also a change of google service.
You can refer to http://www.audiencebloom.com/2015/08/why...plete-api/
If I understood correctly, now google suggestion service only provide keywords, no direct links.
And does the old version Chromium can show smart suggestion now?
(03-03-2016, 06:37 PM)CentBrowser Wrote: And does the old version Chromium can show smart suggestion now?
Yes, in all older versions Chrome, Cent v1.4.0.2, Chromium rev338361 "smart suggestion" still works. I checked today.
(03-03-2016, 07:03 PM)NotWindbag Wrote: Yes, in all older versions Chrome, Cent v1.4.0.2, Chromium rev338361 "smart suggestion" still works. I checked today.

Then it may be related to some request headers.We will try to figure it out.
(03-03-2016, 08:15 PM)CentBrowser Wrote: Then it may be related to some request headers.We will try to figure it out.
Yes, they changed request headers. Thanks for the tip!
There is a new parameter "gs_ri=chrome-ext-ansg". In older versions was "gs_ri=chrome-ext".
I replaced in chrome.dll 
chrome-ext-ansg -> chrome-ext
chrome-omni -> chrome
and now "smart suggestion" works perfect in Cent v1.5.7.18 and above  Smile

It would be great if in new versions Cent Browser, this function will be the default!
(03-03-2016, 11:47 PM)NotWindbag Wrote: Yes, they changed request headers. Thanks for the tip!
There is a new parameter "gs_ri=chrome-ext-ansg". In older versions was "gs_ri=chrome-ext".
I replaced in chrome.dll 
chrome-ext-ansg -> chrome-ext
chrome-omni -> chrome
and now "smart suggestion" works perfect in Cent v1.5.7.18 and above  Smile

It would be great if in new versions Cent Browser, this function will be the default!

Yes. The difference has been shown in https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromi...4438%5E%21.
chrome-ext-ansg: "ansg" represents "Answer in Suggestion", now Chromium removed EnableAnswersInSuggest related codes and make "Answer in Suggestion" default.
Google server will not send any direct links if chrome-ext-ansg header exists.

If you replace chrome-ext-ansg to chrome-ext, then you will not get direct answer in the omnibox like below.

So we can't remove chrome-ext-ansg in a hurry. It may need an option, or we should leave it as is.
Ok. The main thing is that we found out the reason for such behavior and we can fix it manually.
Thank you.