Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wrong font
Hi . WIn 10 ver 2004 and Cent 4.2.10.171(64 bit) (Chromium 80.0.3987.163) 

On YT and other sites some text like a  on a picture [Image: B7346C148713226316C39BB191648C53B88173AD]
Direct write disabled  , #font-src-local-matching, disabled .
Seems disabling DirectWrite gets broken again after Win10 upgrades to 2004.
(06-09-2020, 04:14 PM)CentBrowser Wrote: Seems disabling DirectWrite gets broken again after Win10 upgrades to 2004.

Hi, I'm on Windows 7 and I can confirm that disabling DirectWrite leads to not loading/showing any Webfont. Instead the standard chosen font (Arial in my case) is shown.
Newest Cent Version x64

Last working Cent with correct showing fonts for me was 4.0.9.112

I'll try the versions in between now and report if you want.

EDIT:
As I said, last working version with correct Webfonts and DW disabled is 4.0.9.112
4.1.7.182 and 4.2.9.152 show scrambled Webfonts and 4.2.10.171 shows no Webfont at all on Windows 7 64bit.
(06-25-2020, 11:59 PM)shaftenberg Wrote: Hi, I'm on Windows 7 and I can confirm that disabling DirectWrite leads to not loading/showing any Webfont. Instead the standard chosen font (Arial in my case) is shown.
Newest Cent Version x64

Last working Cent with correct showing fonts for me was 4.0.9.112

I'll try the versions in between now and report if you want.

EDIT:
As I said, last working version with correct Webfonts and DW disabled is 4.0.9.112
4.1.7.182 and 4.2.9.152 show scrambled Webfonts and 4.2.10.171 shows no Webfont at all on Windows 7 64bit.
As mentioned above, have you tried changing "chrome://flags/#font-src-local-matching" to "Disabled"?
(06-26-2020, 03:51 PM)CentBrowser Wrote: As mentioned above, have you tried changing "chrome://flags/#font-src-local-matching" to "Disabled"?

Thanks for replying.
Yes, I tried. In 4.2.10.171 the Webfont appears then, but looks scrambled as in the 2 versions before.
With "scrambled" I mean no anti-aliasing at all.

So I suspect there is/was a big change from 4.0.9.112 to 4.1.7.182 regarding anti-aliasing?
(06-26-2020, 11:32 PM)shaftenberg Wrote: Thanks for replying.
Yes, I tried. In 4.2.10.171 the Webfont appears then, but looks scrambled as in the 2 versions before.
With "scrambled" I mean no anti-aliasing at all.

So I suspect there is/was a big change from 4.0.9.112 to 4.1.7.182 regarding anti-aliasing?
Honestly I don't know the reason.
There are a lot of changes regarding disabling DW in each Chromium update.
So it is very difficult to maintain now.
Can you try running the browser with this command line?
--no-sandbox
Hey,
the command line makes no difference at all unfortunately.

But here is an image attached for what I mean with "scrambled".
In former Chrome versions (until v51) the fonts were rendered smoothly on Systems (Win 7) with Cleartype system wide disabled and the Direct Write flag disabled.
If I enable Direct Write, the fonts aren't rendered correctly in the browser.

Cent was the only Browser until 4.0.9.112 which mimics the old behaviour. Now this is gone with the last 3 versions and disabling Direct Write doesn't help anymore.

At least I have a rather new version with Cent 4.0.9, because Chrome v51 isn't supported on many sites anymore.
Thanks for your efforts anyway!

PS: Here is a comparison between Direct Write dis/enabled.
Cent 4.0.9 works like the left side, the 3 newer versions always render the right side of the picture, regardless of the DW flag.

Attached Files Image(s)

(06-29-2020, 03:41 AM)shaftenberg Wrote: Hey,
the command line makes no difference at all unfortunately.

But here is an image attached for what I mean with "scrambled".
In former Chrome versions (until v51) the fonts were rendered smoothly on Systems (Win 7) with Cleartype system wide disabled and the Direct Write flag disabled.
If I enable Direct Write, the fonts aren't rendered correctly in the browser.

Cent was the only Browser until 4.0.9.112 which mimics the old behaviour. Now this is gone with the last 3 versions and disabling Direct Write doesn't help anymore.

At least I have a rather new version with Cent 4.0.9, because Chrome v51 isn't supported on many sites anymore.
Thanks for your efforts anyway!

PS: Here is a comparison between Direct Write dis/enabled.
Cent 4.0.9 works like the left side, the 3 newer versions always render the right side of the picture, regardless of the DW flag.
Why not enable ClearYype?
On our side, the entire system are almost unusable if ClearType is disabled, all windows are blurry.
(06-29-2020, 03:41 AM)shaftenberg Wrote: Cent was the only Browser until 4.0.9.112 which mimics the old behaviour. 

I've asked about the same, got the same workaround suggestions, but nothing worked.
What i ended up with is a combination of extensions: "Font blocker" to disable fonts that look broken, and "force font" on these rare sites where it doesn't help.

(06-29-2020, 05:32 PM)CentBrowser Wrote: Why not enable ClearYype?

Because it looks like crap on some systems (or maybe it's just us, people with good eyesight Biggrin )
(06-29-2020, 05:32 PM)CentBrowser Wrote: Why not enable ClearYype?
On our side, the entire system are almost unusable if ClearType is disabled, all windows are blurry.
No, not on Windows 7.
Win 7 is unusuable if you enable Cleartype, this is horrible for working.

As PavelX said, it looks like crap Biggrin
I'm a pixel peeper, I work with graphics and video, that's why I need a system without bad smeary rendering.

All the years the browsers rendered the webfonts by itself. This was fine until Chrome decided to enable DirectWrite. That's why I (at least and I think I speak for many users when you search the web) am sticking with old Chrome v51 and Cent 4.0.9, where we can disable DirectWrite.
But as I said, disabling DW in the last Cent versions doesn't help anymore.

EDIT: Here is a small screenshot to give you an idea how "good" rendering looks like on my system Smile

Attached Files Image(s)