Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Improve options and behavior of new tabs
If option “New tab position” is set to “Next to current tab”, only new tabs which are opened by middle clicking on hyperlink should open next to current tab. Tabs opened by middle clicking on bookmark should open at end of all tabs. New tab page opened by plus button should open at end of all tabs as well. Shift+Enter after entering omnibox query should open at end of all tabs as well. Any internal Chrome service page like Settings, Bookmark manager, History, Extensions manager should also open at end of all tabs. This is (probably incomplete) list of service pages:

chrome://newtab
chrome://extensions/
chrome://history
chrome://bookmarks
chrome://bookmarks/#1

The point of this is to group together interrelated tabs, and yet, to start any new actions (like opening a different site, or going to settings) at the end of all tabs, not in the middle of interrelated tabs. This is how it already works in Chrome. In other words, the only difference when option “New tab position” is set to “Next to current tab” should be that new tabs which are opened from current tab, open next to current tab. All other tabs should open at the end of all tabs, like in Chrome by default. Another reason why this differentiation of new tab origin is necessary is that any closed tab, in case it is reopened, currently opens always next to current tab instead of its original location, if option “New tab position” is set to “Next to current tab”. That messes things up.

Another feature that would be great to have is an option to open new tabs active (instead of in background). And if user holds Shift while opening new tab, this setting should be temporarily reversed. For example, if this option is on (new tabs open active), but user holds Shift while middle clicking on hyperlink, open new tab in background. And vice versa.

Everything that I described above could be done using Tab Mix Plus on old Firefox. 
Everything that I described already works in Slimjet, exactly how I described: 
1) Only new tabs opened from current tab open next to current tab if Slimjet’s option “Place new tab from an existing tab at the end of all tabs” is off
2) Closed tabs reopen in correct positions
3) There is an option “Open new tab from an existing tab in foreground by default”
4) Holding Shift temporarily reverses option “Open new tab from an existing tab in foreground by default”

Implement these things, please.

Attached Files Image(s)

Actually, even current Firefox behaves exactly how I described if its option "When you open a link in a new tab, switch to it immediately" is on. So this behavior and option is pretty much a standard in more advanced browsers.

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks for your detailed suggestion.
However I think these features are only habit changes, they don't improve convenience (relative to current implement).

3) There is an option “Open new tab from an existing tab in foreground by default”
This is default behavior of Chromium, and you can use Super Drag to force links opening in new tab.
(02-17-2019, 04:10 PM)CentBrowser Wrote: 3) There is an option “Open new tab from an existing tab in foreground by default”
This is default behavior of Chromium

No, in Chromium, tabs which are opened by middle clicking on link, open in background. Not in foreground. The tab from which new tab was opened, stays active.

As for convenience, current implementation is undeniably flawed, because if in Cent browser the option “New tab position” is set to “Next to current tab” and, for example:
1) tab 5 is currently in foreground
2) user closes tab 10
3) user reopens last closed tab
4) that reopened tab, which was tab 10 before, opens in position of tab 6

This situation is handled correctly in Slimjet and Firefox (and in Chrome and Cent browser with default setting for “New tab position”)

I'm just suggesting, thank you for your time anyway.
(02-17-2019, 06:26 PM)Gordo Wrote: No, in Chromium, tabs which are opened by middle clicking on link, open in background. Not in foreground. The tab from which new tab was opened, stays active.

As for convenience, current implementation is undeniably flawed, because if in Cent browser the option “New tab position” is set to “Next to current tab” and, for example:
1) tab 5 is currently in foreground
2) user closes tab 10
3) user reopens last closed tab
4) that reopened tab, which was tab 10 before, opens in position of tab 6

This situation is handled correctly in Slimjet and Firefox (and in Chrome and Cent browser with default setting for “New tab position”)

I'm just suggesting, thank you for your time anyway.

This is intended.
Our "New tab position" is applied to all cases.