Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[bug ? suggestion ?] mega.co.nz stupid download system
Sad 
Hi CentBrowser team,

today, when checking the size of my CentBrowser appdata, I had a heart attack when I saw that mine was above 4GB, even if all the caches (Cache, GPUCache) are DISABLED in this folder ! After some research, mega.co.nz writes files to a temporary folder before copying it to the download folder (what perturbed mind can imagine dumb features like that ?), and, of course, the temporary data is not flushed away when download is finished  Dodgy

Question is : Is there anything I can do to STOP that bullshit ? Can I use any flag to block that stupid behavior ?
I don't want to be forced to clean my AppData\Local\CentBrowser\User Data\Default\File System folder every time I use mega.

This behavior of Chrome/Chromium is well known since 2015 (I didn't know until now for my part)...it seems nothing has changed since then, which makes me wonder if anything can be done.
https://www.ghacks.net/2015/06/24/hard-d...em-folder/

I'm using a ramdisk (z:\) for all temporary folders, to take care of my SSD, of course CB is set to NOT use any temporary folder in my Appdata folder (Cache,GPUCache, etc.), but all my efforts are killed, thanks to Mega.

my command lines : --disable-gpu-program-cache --disable-gpu-shader-disk-cache --disk-cache-dir=z:\temp

Thank you for reading ! If you have any clue to solve this, feel free to tell me, if it's not :
  • do NOT use mega.co.nz
  • use extension "x" or "y" to automatically clear your cache
  • manually clear your cache
I'd like to find a NATIVE way to AVOID it BEFORE it happends (a flag or command-line would be wonderful) Biggrin
or maybe I can use Jdownloader or any other Downloader manager ? (not the official mega client, I don't want to install that to download some files, sometimes)
Mega decodes the files on-the-fly right in your browser, which is why it has to accumulate the data in some local storage, otherwise it could crash while downloading very large files. When the data is ready it is combined and downloaded from that local storage. It seems like both Mega and Chromium/Chrome are forgetting to clean the old stuff. If you use Mega often, consider reporting the problem on their web site support. As for practical solutions, you can delete "File System" folder and instead create an NTFS link with the same name that points to "z:\File System" so hopefully it'll clean up automatically since the RAM disk is much smaller. There are several utilities that can create such links, the built-in one can be invoked from the Command Prompt (cmd.exe): mklink /j "c:\local path" "z:\ram path"
symbolic link can do the trick...but I'll have to put it directly in Z:\temp and nothing else (this is the only folder which is created on each boot).
I didn't thought about it, thanks for this reminder Biggrin

BTW,with very large files, my ramdisk will not be enough Sad

I'd like to know how Firefox handles this, because it seems unaffected (maybe it removes automatically the temporary files ?)
Firefox should be limiting the size of "File System" or clearing it automatically.
In this case, "Clear browsing data on exit" in chrome://settings/privacy may be useful.
As I know, there is no native way to block writing to "File System" in Chromium.