Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[possible bug] High CPU usage on Facebook ?
Question 
Hi CentBrowser team,

since the latest revisions (3.4.3.25 / 3.4.3.39, don't know if it was the case in previous releases), I'm experimenting abnormal high CPU usage with Facebook. This website is pinned, I browse some websites but after some time (5 minutes maybe ?), if I return to the facebook tab, it suddenly eats up 15% of my CPU (which is really high) and scrolling becomes extremely choppy. I have to refresh the tab to stop that CPU peak.

I'm not doing anything fancy, just browsing some "light" websites, with 5 to 10 tabs opened.
(My computer : i7 4790k + 32GB Ram + GTX 1070 + SSD under Windows 10 1803)

Can you confirm this ? Tried under 3.4.3.25 x64 (installed version with my favorites extensions : uBlock Origin, Anti adblock killer, Iridium, Shortcuts for Google, WhatFont) and 3.4.3.39 x64 (portable version, fresh "install", no extension, no changes in parameters)

After some time, high CPU usage (until I hit refresh)

After a refresh

Thanks in advance

EDIT : I also tried 3.4.3.39 x64 portable in safemode. Same results. If I open and let facebook tab for a while (even without doing anything), go to an other tab and return to facebook, CPU rises from 1/2% to 15% with choppy scrolling
Please try changing "chrome://flags/#enable-wheel-scroll-latching" to "Disabled".
thanks Smile

no more lag when scrolling, even if FB is taking too much CPU IMHO. I'll stop using it as a pinned tab, too greedy Wink

EDIT : it seems I have talked too quickly. Even with this flag disabled, high CPU usage AND scroll lag are still there...
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#...v58UEFa-xc
Someone says changing DNS server or turning off IPv6 would help.
Is this issue solved?
Thanks for your research and your concern.

I'll keep trying with the latest revision (it seems I was in using 3.4.3.25 and not 3.4.3.39...when you have multiple computers, you can lose tracking of the version of CentBrowser Biggrin )
at least on my laptop, I still have the same problem (revision 3.4.3.38, it's time to upgrade to 3.4.3.39 and try again)

but for now, I will stay away from Facebook. I will not use any website that can't handle standard technology like IPv6 or standard DNS (like the ones my ISP is giving me). I already knew that FB was heavy and full of stupid things/bloatwares, but I didn't know to which point.

EDIT : same with 3.4.3.39
Disabling the flag "#enable-wheel-scroll-latching" helps to have smooth scrolling (not as smooth as usual, but better), but CPU is still high. Facebook tab takes between 7 to 10% on my i7 4790k without doing anything on it (I activate its tab, nothing else), this is insane. But this time, if I activate another tab, CPU goes back to normal state (between 0% to 1%) which is much better.

I will not try alternative DNS or IPv4 only for this evil facebook website :|
@badablek
OK, thanks for your feedback.
Hi CentBrowser team,

it seems to be fixed in version 3.5.3.25...I will test it more deeply, to be sure
I can live without Facebook, but it's nice to see that my favorite browser works as smooth as possible without eating my CPU Smile
(07-12-2018, 08:13 PM)badablek Wrote: Hi CentBrowser team,

it seems to be fixed in version 3.5.3.25...I will test it more deeply, to be sure
I can live without Facebook, but it's nice to see that my favorite browser works as smooth as possible without eating my CPU Smile

Thanks for your feedback.