Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CB as Default browser under Windows 10 (not working)
thanks for trying to find a solution, but my profile is NOT corrupted.
I have already made a lot of tests, on multiples computers (at least 6 from different brands), with multiples builds of Windows 10 (beta/stable/anniversary), with fresh and upgrade (from W8, W7) installations, with x86 and x64 versions, and I'm sorry, but all my accounts can't be corrupted at the same time !

I don't have any antivirus software that could corrupt my profile, nor I have upgraded from a previous Windows. On my primary computer, I made a fresh installation of the x64 anniversary build, and there is no reason at all that anything is corrupted. And I already tried with an other account, as I always use a temporary account before changing the default accounts folder (as Windows does not let us choose in the installation).

W10 does not like when CB is installed in program files, that's all, I can live with it, as I know how to bypass this little grain of sand.
If I use the default appdata folder, everything works as it should (but I will not, because using appdata is stupid IMHO)
Here we tested insalling Cent to Program Files directory, and we can register Cent as default browser correctly when running it with administrator privilege.(Win10 14393)
There should be something blocked the process in your computer.
And have you tried running Cent with command line "chrome.exe --make-default-browser"?
Quote:There should be something blocked the process in your computer.

in all my 6 different computers, running 6 different builds (more or less, all are on 1607, but not all are updated to the very latest official build) ?

I didn't tried with the command-line (didn't know that trick). When CB asks if I want it to be the default browser, I click "yes" (launched in admin mode of course)

ps : I'll try something...I remembered that at my work, with user control set to 0, even when starting in admin mode, programs were not able to use admin privileges. not working

same problem as here : http://www.windows10forums.com/threads/c...post-48210
(10-06-2016, 08:46 PM)badablek Wrote: in all my 6 different computers, running 6 different builds (more or less, all are on 1607, but not all are updated to the very latest official build) ?

I didn't tried with the command-line (didn't know that trick). When CB asks if I want it to be the default browser, I click "yes" (launched in admin mode of course)

ps : I'll try something...I remembered that at my work, with user control set to 0, even when starting in admin mode, programs were not able to use admin privileges. not working

same problem as here : http://www.windows10forums.com/threads/c...post-48210

Maybe a bug of Windows 10, please upgrade one or more computers to Anniversary Update.
Quote:running 6 different builds (more or less, all are on 1607, but not all are updated to the very latest official build) ?
ALL my computers ARE actually already running on anniversary build...

I will try redstone 2 on my main computer BTW
So, after a lot of testing, with the latest fast ring releases (14942 and 14946), and anniversary build, I know what's wrong Smile

As I really hate having my profile folder in the same partition as Windows (because I have to backup all my data before any format, which is painful, slow and boring), on all my computers, I make a temporary profile, and with some regedit magic in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList" I change the default profile path to something like "D:\Users", then I make my main profile. As long as I don't reboot my computer, everything works nicely, I can change default apps on my main profile.

But, on next reboot, the new path is definitely used...and drama starts here ! It seems that Windows 10 apps have some paths hardcoded to the default profile path ("%systemdrive%\username") and don't care of any other path. As Parameters is actually an W10 app, it acts weirdly and is unstable because of this setup.

Sorry if I have eaten your time in trying to solve the problem (thanks BTW), CB is clearly NOT guilty. Same problem happened with Potplayer (video) and XnView (image viewer), it was obviously related to W10 Biggrin

so if it can help anybody : do not play with the default profile path in Windows 10, which is too stupid to understand it ! (why does Microsoft always make things harder ?)
Now I'm gonna switch all my profiles on all my computers to the default path... Sick
I also have similar experience with changing user profile location.
As I know, changing that registry item is far from perfect.
Still there are a lot of System Settings/Programs going to the default location(ignoring your registry setting).
This is the case since Windows Vista.
Maybe Microsoft didn't plan a good solution for changing profile location from the beginning.