Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any standalone analogue of Cent's video grabber?
Cent has a marvelous video grabber, that can even save full video from sites which send it as small pieces, making ordinary video-saving utilities fail. Still Cant's  video-grabber has 2 down-sides:
1. There is no way to make queue.
Surely one can make several downloads simultaneously, but for some reasons sometimes it results in random "damaged bits" in downloaded video. Don't know what causes that, maybe it's even purely due to say local internet signal quality, still when downloading one video after another was fully grabbed never results in any artifacts/errors. 
2. Browser must be running while download proceeds.
Nowadays browsers eat up resources pretty high, and sometimes it's uncomfortable to keep it running just for the grabber to finish the job.

So may it happen anybody can propose some standalone video grabber, that 
- works same good as Cent's one (mainly with "catching streaming video" as a full one) 
- allows to to choose either to make simultaneous downloads or pre-create queue for download one-by-one
- light on resources (so it would use at least half less resources than usually browser does)

Pardon me if it's not a proper branch for such question, please move the right branch if needed.
(07-09-2024, 12:49 AM)rey Wrote: Cent has a marvelous video grabber, that can even save full video from sites which send it as small pieces, making ordinary video-saving utilities fail.

Can someone explain to me how you access the video grabber feature?
I've used CentBrowser for a few months now, and I never knew there was such a feature until recently.
(07-09-2024, 06:40 AM)AllanH Wrote: how you access the video grabber feature?
Make sure you have "Show tip for playing video in popup window" = enabled. Then hover over video frame and you should get this menu in top right corner      - the arrow button is the grabber.
(07-09-2024, 07:53 AM)rey Wrote: Make sure you have "Show tip for playing video in popup window" = enabled. Then hover over video frame and you should get this menu in top right corner  - the arrow button is the grabber.

Thanks Smile  This feature should be included on their Web site.
I will say the download speed seems to be much slower than what I normally use for video downloads.
(07-09-2024, 12:49 AM)rey Wrote: Cent has a marvelous video grabber, that can even save full video from sites which send it as small pieces, making ordinary video-saving utilities fail. Still Cant's  video-grabber has 2 down-sides:
1. There is no way to make queue.
Surely one can make several downloads simultaneously, but for some reasons sometimes it results in random "damaged bits" in downloaded video. Don't know what causes that, maybe it's even purely due to say local internet signal quality, still when downloading one video after another was fully grabbed never results in any artifacts/errors. 
2. Browser must be running while download proceeds.
Nowadays browsers eat up resources pretty high, and sometimes it's uncomfortable to keep it running just for the grabber to finish the job.
So may it happen anybody can propose some standalone video grabber, that 
- works same good as Cent's one (mainly with "catching streaming video" as a full one) 
- allows to to choose either to make simultaneous downloads or pre-create queue for download one-by-one
- light on resources (so it would use at least half less resources than usually browser does)
Pardon me if it's not a proper branch for such question, please move the right branch if needed.

I'm using this extension - FetchV.
In my opinion there is a very useful.
(07-09-2024, 12:49 AM)rey Wrote: 2. Browser must be running while download proceeds.
this is wrong
cent uses yt-dlp to download, and it does not stop the download even if you click cancel (this is a bug), and even more so if the browser closes
and you can use it separately from the folder \User Data\MiscTools by running it in cmd, it will work much better
also in the new version of the browser, a call to cmd is available in bookmarks as a bookmarklet, with the transfer of a link
Code:
cmd://yt-dlp -o "~\Desktop\%(title)s.%(ext)s" --add-header "User-Agent:{USER_AGENT}" --add-header "Cookie:{COOKIES}" {URL}

Cent uses exactly the same call string
just not just a URL, but also direct links if the site is not supported by yt-dlp for indirect links

also cent launches two yt-dlp processes even after the browser closes, these two processes do not close and continue to hang in the task manager
(07-09-2024, 04:15 PM)QZMTCH Wrote: Cent uses exactly the same call string
Thank you for a hint. Tried to add your code to new bookmark, but it doesn't work saying it can't find yt-dlp.(though exe is right where must be = \User Data\MiscTools)
Code needs some modification? Yet am i understanding it right, that by clicking this coded-bookmark on page where i usually use grabber button, it will automatically make a download silently placing file on Desctop?
(07-13-2024, 10:05 AM)rey Wrote: Thank you for a hint. Tried to add your code to new bookmark, but it doesn't work saying it can't find yt-dlp.(though exe is right where must be = \User Data\MiscTools) 
Code needs some modification? Yet am i understanding it right, that by clicking this coded-bookmark on page where i usually use grabber button, it will automatically make a download silently placing file on Desctop?
I have the program in the Windows folder and therefore it is visible without a direct path
so just write the full path to the program
yes, the script will take the URL of the page you are on and send it to the program
(07-09-2024, 04:15 PM)QZMTCH Wrote: it does not stop the download even if you click cancel (this is a bug), and even more so if the browser closes
This appears to be false - as soon as browser is closed, video grabber window closes too, abandoning current download.
(07-21-2024, 09:05 AM)rey Wrote: This appears to be false - as soon as browser is closed, video grabber window closes too, abandoning current download.
This is not a download window, the download is started by cmd and after closing the browser it continues until the end until it downloads