Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CB as Default browser under Windows 10 (not working)
So, after a lot of testing, with the latest fast ring releases (14942 and 14946), and anniversary build, I know what's wrong Smile

As I really hate having my profile folder in the same partition as Windows (because I have to backup all my data before any format, which is painful, slow and boring), on all my computers, I make a temporary profile, and with some regedit magic in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList" I change the default profile path to something like "D:\Users", then I make my main profile. As long as I don't reboot my computer, everything works nicely, I can change default apps on my main profile.

But, on next reboot, the new path is definitely used...and drama starts here ! It seems that Windows 10 apps have some paths hardcoded to the default profile path ("%systemdrive%\username") and don't care of any other path. As Parameters is actually an W10 app, it acts weirdly and is unstable because of this setup.

Sorry if I have eaten your time in trying to solve the problem (thanks BTW), CB is clearly NOT guilty. Same problem happened with Potplayer (video) and XnView (image viewer), it was obviously related to W10 Biggrin

so if it can help anybody : do not play with the default profile path in Windows 10, which is too stupid to understand it ! (why does Microsoft always make things harder ?)
Now I'm gonna switch all my profiles on all my computers to the default path... Sick

Messages In This Thread
RE: CB as Default browser under Windows 10 (not working) - by badablek - 10-14-2016, 08:17 PM