Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Keep ManifestV2 extension support
This is a feature request to keep ManifestV2 extension support.

Google has already announced the switchover to ManifestV3 is going to happen this June (2024). It's happening in two months.

uBlock Origin will not be ported to ManifestV3 because the new API doesn't have the features to allow that. uBlock Origin Lite, a ManifestV3 port, has very limited features and can't be a decent substitute of the original ManifestV2 uBlock Origin. I think uBlock Origin is the most important extension for an advanced user. It has many features and deep level of configurability, even via group policies (automatic deployment).

There might be other extensions as well that can't migrate to ManifestV3 for the same reason, so that's why it would be important for a browser like Cent, aimed for Advanced users, to keep ManifestV2.

The code will be in Chromium until 2025 June as enterprise deployments can keep V2 extensions via a group policy. I think one year is enough to figure out how to have a continued support for ManifestV2 extensions thereafter. Firefox has already announced to keep ManifestV2 support, so Cent keeping it could guarantee that we'll not lose any users in favor of Firefox.
We will try to keep ManifestV2, it depends on the workload.
I would also love for CentBrowser to keep Manifest v2, and I have a related question.
My default browser is Vivaldi.
I have the latest version of the uBlock Origin development build.
With Vivaldi, when I select the Details button for that extension on the chrome://extensions/ page, I see the warning message "This extension may soon no longer be supported", because of Manifest v3.
With CentBrowser, there is no message displayed at all.
Could someone explain this?
(09-05-2024, 06:43 AM)AllanH Wrote: I would also love for CentBrowser to keep Manifest v2, and I have a related question.
My default browser is Vivaldi.
I have the latest version of the uBlock Origin development build.
With Vivaldi, when I select the Details button for that extension on the chrome://extensions/ page, I see the warning message "This extension may soon no longer be supported", because of Manifest v3.
With CentBrowser, there is no message displayed at all.
Could someone explain this?
Because you are using the manifest v2 of uBlock Origin, its manifest v3 version is called "uBlock Origin Lite".
https://github.com/uBlockOrigin/uBlock-i...pported%22
(09-05-2024, 04:40 PM)Admini Wrote: Because you are using the manifest v2 of uBlock Origin, its manifest v3 version is called "uBlock Origin Lite".
https://github.com/uBlockOrigin/uBlock-i...pported%22

My question was why doesn't CentBrowser display the same warning message as Vivaldi for the Manifest v2 version of uBlock Origin.
I thought it could be because CentBrowser is not considered as Google Chrome 127, but I do have the DLL file which shows that CentBrowser has Chromium 128.0.6563.000.
(09-05-2024, 05:24 PM)AllanH Wrote: My question was why doesn't CentBrowser display the same warning message as Vivaldi for the Manifest v2 version of uBlock Origin.
I thought it could be because CentBrowser is not considered as Google Chrome 127, but I do have the DLL file which shows that CentBrowser has Chromium 128.0.6563.000.
the fact that you or someone else changed the version line in the file will not change the functions in the browser. And if there is no manifest check and warning display there initially, when changing the version the check will not appear

Well, such notifications are already shown from the store
This extension contains malware.
This extension violates the rules of the Cent Browser Online Store
(09-05-2024, 05:24 PM)AllanH Wrote: My question was why doesn't CentBrowser display the same warning message as Vivaldi for the Manifest v2 version of uBlock Origin.
Did you download the installer from our official website?
We are currently based on Chromium 118, and the version of the dll file should be 5.1.1130.129
(09-06-2024, 04:56 PM)Admini Wrote: Did you download the installer from our official website?
We are currently based on Chromium 118, and the version of the dll file should be 5.1.1130.129
they all patch the dll file so that sites don't report an old browser version