CentBrowser Forum
STABLE version -- 4.2.10.171 - Printable Version

+- CentBrowser Forum (https://www.centbrowser.net/en)
+-- Forum: Product Related (https://www.centbrowser.net/en/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Release Channel (https://www.centbrowser.net/en/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: STABLE version -- 4.2.10.171 (/showthread.php?tid=3555)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

RE: STABLE version -- 4.2.10.171 - Admin - 08-31-2020

(08-29-2020, 04:04 PM)AnakhaSilver Wrote: Is there anything we can do to help?
No, this is mainly our work.

RE: STABLE version -- 4.2.10.171 - Admin - 08-31-2020

(08-30-2020, 02:39 AM)lexa77 Wrote: Good afternoon, Cent Team! Now seriously... We live in a hard time. You have other things to do besides the browser. You want to be promoted... You see, it's hard to advertise something that doesn't change. So I have a suggestion for you: open a cash account and ask everyone, who is not indifferent to your browser, to transfer $1 at least. Set a money threshold, below which the browser will not be updated. Only one thing! All details ought to be honest. Think about it and good luck!
Thank you for your kindness.
But we don't accept donation for now.

RE: STABLE version -- 4.2.10.171 - rch - 09-01-2020

It would be nice if the devs were a bit more open and honest about what specific areas of Cent cause so much trouble meaning updates are coming about every 4-6 months. That's possibly the worst update schedule of any Chromium based browser at the moment (and I thought Slimjet used to be quite bad).

If the community knew more about the issues, we could perhaps offer some constructive feedback and suggestions to speed things up a bit going forward. It's the secrecy and lack of communication that's annoying as much as anything else...

RE: STABLE version -- 4.2.10.171 - Admin - 09-01-2020

(09-01-2020, 01:05 PM)rch Wrote: It would be nice if the devs were a bit more open and honest about what specific areas of Cent cause so much trouble meaning updates are coming about every 4-6 months. That's possibly the worst update schedule of any Chromium based browser at the moment (and I thought Slimjet used to be quite bad).

If the community knew more about the issues, we could perhaps offer some constructive feedback and suggestions to speed things up a bit going forward. It's the secrecy and lack of communication that's annoying as much as anything else...
As we have more features than before, the workload is also increased.

RE: STABLE version -- 4.2.10.171 - gtanadam - 09-01-2020

Still looking forward to having that direct-write patch file.

You can reach me out through Private Messages, I will gladly name the fork as CentBrowser Lite for the sake of DirectWrite.

Already have the latest chromium built
[Image: QxvREUl.png]

RE: STABLE version -- 4.2.10.171 - rch - 09-01-2020

(09-01-2020, 04:55 PM)CentBrowser Wrote: As we have more features than before, the workload is also increased.

It sort of proves my point really, I ask if you could offer a bit more detail to the community about what the problems are that are causing delays and you just say "we've got more work to do than before..."

From October 2018 to May 2019, Cent was updated to 5 major versions in 7 months (Chromium 69 - 74). In the following 15 months, it's only been updated to major versions twice. I really don't know what new features have caused such a terrible update schedule, but as I said, a little transparency goes a long way.

RE: STABLE version -- 4.2.10.171 - Admin - 09-03-2020

(09-01-2020, 05:45 PM)rch Wrote: It sort of proves my point really, I ask if you could offer a bit more detail to the community about what the problems are that are causing delays and you just say "we've got more work to do than before..."

From October 2018 to May 2019, Cent was updated to 5 major versions in 7 months (Chromium 69 - 74). In the following 15 months, it's only been updated to major versions twice. I really don't know what new features have caused such a terrible update schedule, but as I said, a little transparency goes a long way.
Disabling DirectWrite is time consuming work.
And there are two many tab/bookmark options, each option may cause conflicts to resolve during Chromium version update.

RE: STABLE version -- 4.2.10.171 - filth - 09-03-2020

(09-03-2020, 04:13 PM)CentBrowser Wrote: Disabling DirectWrite is time consuming work.
And there are two many tab/bookmark options, each option may cause conflicts to resolve during Chromium version update.
In this case, I propose to make the lite version without disabling DirectWrite)) If anyone needs it, they can wait further for the release of the full version with disabling DirectWrite)) This will speed up the release of new versions.

RE: STABLE version -- 4.2.10.171 - rch - 09-03-2020

(09-03-2020, 04:13 PM)CentBrowser Wrote: Disabling DirectWrite is time consuming work.

Thanks for actually opening up a little bit to give us more detail on some of the features causing delays.

If Direct Write is such a major issue, it may be painful to hear but I think some users might have to accept it may have to be dropped at some point in the future. It's probably why every other Chromium dev has dropped support for it, these "legacy" functions can't stay around forever. Advanced Chrome is interesting because it doesn't disable Direct Write but changes font rendering to supposedly make it look better. https://browser.taokaizen.com/chrome-directwrite/

Perhaps the bookmark options causing trouble can be slimmed down to some degree or taken out for the time being and reworked or reintroduced later on? I don't know who uses what bookmark functions but maybe if everyone knew what the problematic options were, and understood the issues, they'd be OK with any changes?

Nobody likes to see features removed from software, but sometimes you have to take a few steps back to start going forward again...

RE: STABLE version -- 4.2.10.171 - papadoc - 09-04-2020

Users who like the directwrite feature are fanatical about it. Personally, I couldn't care less. The bookmark stuff is cool, but if it's also hard to maintain, get rid of it.

You say you plan to offer a Cent Lite version, so why not start doing that now? Gut these features which cause delays, so you can offer a more rapid release schedule. Then you can release more full featured builds sporadically, like you have been.