Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Future of CentBrowser
"You got it backwards. They are deprecating the webRequest API form Chromium source code itself. In Chrome Enterprise version they will inject the full API itself."

Not according to the Brave CEO: https://twitter.com/BrendanEich/status/1...3472923648
we'll see what will happen,
nobody knows for sure from now,
I'm optimistic that I/we will find a solution

I'm using hosts blocking at home too,
but I cannot do it at work

as for the new limit,
they said that it will be 30k,
even if they change it to 300k,
it isn't enough for me,
I've got:
"193,438 network filters + 151,275 cosmetic filters"

anyway, I'm not that much concerned about ad-blocking,
google cannot prevent it no matter what they do in my opinion,
at least for the most advanced users,
they will find a solution one way or another,
don't forget that adblocking addons/extensions are the top in downloads for every browser,
even the users that use a browser only for facebook have adblockers nowadays and
google is losing money as an ad company they are

I'm mostly concerned about stylus and tampermonkey,
even though the guys over in adguard said that they will support script execution in their code
Some bugs I reported years ago have not been fixed... other browsers are releasing almost weekly updates...
(05-31-2019, 05:10 PM)ramonjosegn Wrote: other browsers are releasing almost weekly updates...

My friend, other browsers too do the teams, which consist of three people?
(05-31-2019, 05:10 PM)ramonjosegn Wrote: Some bugs I reported years ago have not been fixed... other browsers are releasing almost weekly updates...

What bugs?
@CentBrowser What about the prior discussion? Do you think you'll be able to continue support for the webRequest API? The latest reports make it seem like Google is gonna ignore all the backlash and deprecate it anyway. They'll continue to allow it in Enterprise, so the underlying code should still be intact, but knowing them they'll probably disable it in Chromium, not just Chrome.

Brave seems to think they'll be able to reenable it and continue support, so I'm optimistic that other forks might be able to as well. I've never found a fork I like better than Cent, so I hate the idea of having to transition to another one, or even worse - Firefox. You think it'll be doable?
(06-03-2019, 01:15 AM)papadoc Wrote: @CentBrowser What about the prior discussion? Do you think you'll be able to continue support for the webRequest API? The latest reports make it seem like Google is gonna ignore all the backlash and deprecate it anyway. They'll continue to allow it in Enterprise, so the underlying code should still be intact, but knowing them they'll probably disable it in Chromium, not just Chrome.

Brave seems to think they'll be able to reenable it and continue support, so I'm optimistic that other forks might be able to as well. I've never found a fork I like better than Cent, so I hate the idea of having to transition to another one, or even worse - Firefox. You think it'll be doable?

We need to estimate the workload and decide what to do.
There may be still a year before manifest V3 be finally implemented.
Actually it is estimated to be rolled out around october this year, I might be wrong on this. But many browsers like Brave & Vivaldi are saying they will maintain a upstream patch for each version. As Brave is open source, you might fork their patch.
(06-07-2019, 08:13 AM)hemlok89 Wrote: Actually it is estimated to be rolled out around october this year, I might be wrong on this. But many browsers like Brave & Vivaldi are saying they will maintain a upstream patch for each version. As Brave is open source, you might fork their patch.

OK, we will keep an eye on this.
I like the browser. It's difficult for a small team to be always up to date and satisfying all user requests. Keep up good work CentBrowser Wink